Monday, March 30, 2009

My first day of school in an Inupiat community.



Monday, March 30, 2009
Flora the Inupiat teacher welcomed us into her classroom this morning and we had fun with the 1st and 2nd graders. I learned that tuttu is the word for caribou. This tuttu is my mascot friend for the trip so look for him in future photos.

Beach and sun what more could I want :)
The people here keep referring to the beach here but it is not one anyone would recognize all covered with ice and snow, which does not leave till mid July. Not my idea of the traditional beach. The sun here is very bright, but the wind is about 20 mph so it is very cold.
I made homemade pizza last night and with the left over dough I made a dessert pizza, sliced apples with sugar sprinkled on top and baked then when it came out of the oven I sliced strawberries, kiwi and grapes to go on top, a great treat so far north.

What more could I want..... to see a polar bear in its natural environment...this would be thrilling.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I just realized that you're getting more sun than we are in Fairbanks. Enjoy it, but don't let a polar bear sneak up on you while you're sunning yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tim. Those bears can be very sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, be careful what you wish for...;)

    ReplyDelete